Interesting facts about Campbellville
Campbellville the name:
In the beginning it was called "Campbell's Mill". Then when the General Store was built and a post office appointment was requested, the name sent in to the U.S. Postmaster was "Campbellsville". That name was used in other legal documents, school board reports and such. As the years passed the (s) was dropped and was thereafter generally called "Campbellville".
Electric service at Campbellville:
SCREA (Sullivan County Rural Electric Association)
Some Excerpts from "Memories Of When The Lights Came On" by Bertha Mae Bagley.
Electricty was late in coming to most areas of Sullvan County. B. M. Bagley wrote; "Let there be light, and there was light and it was good." "Getting the right-of-way cut was a challenge; however, my father had most recently left his job as woods instructor for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), so he at least knew what to do and what had to be done." "My father had ordered books from Montgomery Ward on "Wiring Your Home" and was studing them in addition to cutting ROW and running a chicken farm." In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service.
Campbellville did not receive electric power until the early 1940's. So one can imagine, that for the complete history of Campbellsville when it was a thriving village, it and local farmers never experienced that luxury. The last Campbellville resident, Mrs. LaRue Litzelman, was the first to obtain electric service there. As of 2005 Mrs Litzelman still resides in her home there.
This information courtesy of Mr. Craig Harting, REA
The road heading westwardly from the Campbellville Mill across the Covered bridge over Level Branch creek and up toward the Sts. Phillip & James Church into Elkland township was named after Thomas M. Burke (1899-1962). Mr. Burke purchased the property formerly owned by the heirs of the Reverend, Judge Richard Bedford in 1937.
Kelly Hill Road:
This road heading north from the Campbellville Mill along the east side of Level Branch creek was named after Daniel Kelly an early settler there circa 1850.
The above road information courtesy of Mr. Edward M. Kelly.
The Last Child Born in Campbellville:
Gary Lee Driscoll, born March 30, 1940, the first born of Alice Rosella and Carl Stanley Driscoll then residents of Campbellville. At that time only two houses remained at Campbellville. The General Store had been torn down the previous spring. The only other remaining structures were the barn behind where the store was located and the Covered Bridge across Level Branch creek. The Driscoll residence came with no running water and an updated outside privy. Water was obtained from a spring just up the road from their home. The house was wood siding ship-lap, in the winter there were no barriers and the cold air flowed through casually. At that time Gary's father Carl Driscoll had a 1934 Plymouth that in the winter he would park up the hill from the house and let it drift down hoping it would start using the clutch. Sometimes it did start.
The above information courtesy of Gail (Driscoll) Fiorini.
The Old Lick Creek Bridge:
Back in the 1980's the bridge over Lick Creek was very narrow, the curves very short. School buses and trucks had to back up once or more in order to make the turn. The northeast corner of the old home there was about two feet from the paved road. The road until 1930+or - was the wagon trail. Residents that lived in the house were always concerned that an auto or truck would join them in their living room.
This information provided courtesy of Mrs. Mary Litzelman.
The "Devil's Elbow":
County road 4016 just as it starts its descent downward toward the Campbellville Mill site, you encounter the infamous "Devil's Elbow". A hairpin turn that has much local history about it. If you drive that road today, imagine the roadway half as wide, a dirt and wheel rutted wagon trail. One instance tells of a farmer with his wagon loaded with logs cut from his farm to allow him more cleared area to increase his grain crop was heading toward Hunsingers sawmill. Driving a double team pulling his wagon loaded with logs approached the "elbow". The weight of the logs going down the steep incline caused the wagon to pick-up speed and as he turned into the switch-back his load broke loose. The logs tumbled and slid from the wagon down the mountainside. It is said that recovery of just a few logs resulted. There are many other stories that local farmers recall that were handed down from their grandparents. Another one of a 1918 automobile that went over the "elbow" and had to be hauled back up by a double team of horses. One can just imagine the gibes that person must have taken for some time thereafter.
This information from local Campbellville residents.
Campbellville Post Office Residents circa 1870:
During it's growth in 1870 the Campbellville Post office supported 294 residents of the local area, a rather surprising number considering its location geographically.
Population of Campbellville 1900:
The recorded population at Campbellville for the year 1900 was 36. The gristmill, post office, general store and sawmill were in full operation. Powell & John Norton were the property owners, ran the gristmill and operated the general store. Powell Norton was the Postmaster located inside the general store.
Population statistics from Bradstreet's Commercial Reports.